Don’t underestimate the following simple strategies to protect you and your loved ones…
- Wash your hands.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Employ social distancing – stay at home as much as possible.
- Alleviate stress however you can (stress impairs immune function).
- Stay active and as fit as possible (but it’s probably best to stay out of the gym – see #3).
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Eat healthily and stay well-hydrated.
- Don’t panic (see #4).
- Set a reasonable example for others.
- Live your life.
I’m personally on the fence about staying out of the gym since it’s kind of my sanctuary – but because my job as an inner-city ER nurse already puts me in direct contact with the infected, for the moment I’m trying to be prudent and stay away from other people.
It’s too late to stop this pandemic, but these are the current recommendations from infectious disease experts. Ignore them at your own peril. BTW – #9 & 10 are my own, because we are in this collectively and life goes on.
Enjoy it while you can.